The inaugural meeting of the Steering Committee for the development of the National Plan 2030 was held on Friday, 5 June 2015, at the Grenada National Stadium. The meeting, which also included the members of the Technical Working Group, the Permanent Secretary and other staff of the Ministry of Finance and Energy, was convened by Minister Oliver Joseph, Chairman of the Steering Committee.
The Meeting focused on:
- Reviewing the Terms of Reference (TOR) of the Steering Committee and the Technical Working Group;
- Brainstorming on the process for the preparation of the National Plan 2030;
- The institutional arrangements for the development of the Plan;
- Next Steps
The proposed TORs for the Committees are as follows:
- Steering Committee
- Review and advise on the process for preparation of National Plan 2030;
- Provide oversight of and guidance to the Technical Working Group;
- Monitor progress on the preparation of the plan;
- Support stakeholders consultations; and
- Comment on the draft chapters of the Plan.
- Technical Working Group
- To Commission technical working papers;
- Synthesize various inputs including existing documentation;
- Meet with key stakeholders;
- Draft chapters of Plan;
- Present a draft Plan on agreed schedule.
It was agreed that members will discuss the proposed TORs with their respective stakeholder groups and provide feedback on same to the Ministry of Finance. Based on the feedback, adjustments will be made to the TORs if necessary.
The Government is pleased to note that the National Steering Committee is now fully constituted. The Committee comprises:
- Minister Oliver Joseph – Chairman
- Mrs Joan Purcell – Civil Society
- Mrs Petipha Lewis Smith – Private Sector Organizations
- Mr Andre Lewis – Labor Unions
- Rev John Lewis – Alliance of Evangelical Churches
- Mr William Joseph – Conference of Churches
- Dr Dunstan Campbell– Agriculture
- Mr Judd Cadet – Youth
- Mr Carlton Frederick – New National party
- Mr Vincent Roberts – National Democratic Congress
- Mr Ferron Lowe – National United Front
The Technical Working Group is made up of
- Dr Clement Jackson — Chairman
- Dr Patrick Antoine
- Dr Linus Spencer Thomas
- Mr Fitzroy James
- Mr Michael A. Baptiste
- Mrs Pauline Finlay.
The National Plan 2030 will build on the Growth and Poverty Reduction Strategy (GPRS) 2015–19; the National Strategic Plan (NSP) 2007; (review of strategic plan for 2007) among other source documents. It would take into consideration OECS and CARICOM strategic plans and Grenada’s commitments under international treaties. It would also consider global trends, risks, threats and opportunities. Moreover, it would involve the participation of all Grenadians though extensive public consultations.
Her Excellency Dame Dr Cécile La Grenade, Governor-General on the occasion of the Third Session of the Ninth Parliament on 16 October 2014 announced that government has taken steps “… to commence the development of a National Plan 2030”, in direct response to a call from the Social partners for such a plan.
The process for the development of Plan 2030 was launched on 27 May 2015 and the aim is to have the draft Plan completed by June 2016.
The next joint meeting of the committees will be held on 26 June 2015.
Ministry of Finance & Energy