The Grenada Association of Retired Persons (GARP) Successful Ageing Exposition is the culmination of the celebrations for Month of Older Persons in October.
There has been much success during previous events, soup kitchens, motorcades, and information booths in sharing knowledge about the importance of caring for our seniors in Grenada. An increasing number of organisations and businesses have become engaged in raising public awareness in Month of Older Persons activities, for which our seniors are very grateful. During the 4th week of October, the following important events are planned:
Saturday, 21 October: GARP will host an information booth at Grand Anse Food Fair Mall on Montessori School Road from 9 am to 4 pm, to advise the public on issues affecting seniors. A presentation and relevant literature will be available for public viewing. GARP is seeking new members to join their exciting team and application forms will be available.
Sunday, 22 October: 26 churches in Grenada will deliver sermons addressing issues that affect seniors, and will provide messages to Grenadians to help enhance their daily lives.
Wednesday, 25 October: in partnership with the Ministry of Petite Martinique and Carriacou, Social Services Department, GARP members will deliver a soup kitchen event at Top Hill Home for the Elderly in Carriacou. The event will include a full day of fun activities with music and games.
Friday, 27 October: in partnership with the Ministry of Petite Martinique and Carriacou, Social Services Department, GARP members will deliver a soup kitchen event at Petite Martinique.
Successful Ageing Exposition: Saturday, 28 October
GARP is hosting its inaugural Successful Ageing Exposition to be enjoyed by the whole family at the Morne Rouge playing field in Grand Anse. The fun begins at 10 am and continues until 6 pm. Many interesting attractions have been assembled for this event including tents from our commercial affiliates. GARP Executive Members invite the public to join the fun in this big event along with the planning team, and their many volunteers, in making this event a success. The expo village will consist of:
- Membership Welcome tent with information and presentations
- Medical Clinic tent with volunteer medical staff from SGU
- Museum tent of interesting older things
- Beauty tent for seniors
- Health and Wellness tent with Reiki Treatment
- GARP cottage industry and thrift shop tent
- Food and drink tents
- Storytelling and games tent
- Books tent with used books for sale
- Salsa Dancing tent
- DJ Swift with Soca music: dancing and fun for everyone
GARP is pleased to announce that many of its local commercial affiliates will be participating in this event and we invite the public to visit their tents too:
- FLOW Grenada
- Bryden and Minors Ltd
- Gittens Pharmacy
- National Insurance Scheme
- Ministry of Social Development
A very special thank you to several of the supporters who have contributed to the success of the GARP Successful Ageing Exposition:
- Courts Grenada for generously offering to furnish and outfit the GARP Welcome Tent at the GARP Successful Ageing Expo;
- Flow Grenada for providing public internet access to the Morne Rouge playing field during EXPO day;
- King Elvis Taxi and Tours Grenada for picking up seniors from their homes in St George’s Parish and making sure they get to the Expo site safely and back home again;
- Foodland for providing a 5% discount to seniors (age 65 and over – bring ID) for all items purchased at their stores from 30 October to 4 November.
GARP has received a generous offer from local pharmacy companies to be passed on to all seniors in Grenada. Pharmacy products are being offered at a discount to seniors of retirement age (aged 60 and over – bring ID), during the entire month of October from the following pharmacies:
- Parris Pharmacy in Grenville on Victoria Street (5%),
- True Blue Pharmacy in St George (10%),
Hills and Valleys Pharmacy on Halifax Street, St George’s and on Church Street in Carriacou have offered the following permanent discount arrangement for seniors 60 years and older:
- Prescription Drugs (10%)
- Over the counter pharmacy items (7%).
A medical clinic will be open to the public during the GARP Successful Ageing Exposition from 10 am to 2 pm. Other medical clinics are planned in early November in various places throughout the island:
- Wednesday, 8 November: in Carriacou at Princess Royal Hospital from 9 am to 4 pm. Diabetic residents with known foot ulcers as well as those with Peripheral Vascular Disease (poor circulation in their feet) will be given priority;
- Friday, 10 November: in Grenville from 9 am to 2 pm;
- Saturday, 11 November: in St George’s at the GARP Welcome Centre on Kirani James Boulevard (next to Foodland) from 9 am to 2 pm;
GARP continues to identify special citizens in Grenada by hosting honouree presentation events. The first event was held on 1 October at the Evangelistic Church. Stay tuned for more events to honour additional un-sung Grenadian heroes.
While you are at the GARP Successful Ageing Exposition, please look for GARP donation boxes. All donations are welcome.
GARP provides engagement and support for mature citizens 50 years of age and over. Our mission is to offer learning opportunities, social activities, fun events, and valuable benefits to our members in Grenada. Please feel free to drop by the GARP Welcome Centre located at Kirani James Boulevard (next to Foodland) or call 435-9857 for more information. Our website is www.garpgrenada.com and our Facebook page is GARP.