by Linda Straker
Sister Maureen Alexander, retired Principal of St Joseph’s Convent, St George’s, is among 5 persons in Grenada named in the Queen’s 2018 New Year Honours List. Alexander received the highest honour for Grenada.
The Grenada Honourees are:
The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
- Sister Maureen Alexander. For services to education.
Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)
- André Cherman. For services to business.
Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)
- Cecil St Louis. For services to education.
British Empire Medal (BEM)
- Adrian Blackman. For services to the community.
- Sergeant Lawrence Francis. For services to the community.
Sometime in 2018, the honourees will be officially recognised during a ceremony. Those who cannot travel to London to receive the award directly from the Queen, will receive their awards at a ceremony spearheaded on island by the Queen’s representative, Governor-General Dame Cécile La Grenade.
The names of all persons in the United Kingdom and persons from 16 Commonwealth nations were published in the 30th Edition of the London Gazette.