On Friday 22 January 2015, the Grenada Market Access and Rural Enterprise Development Programme (MAREP), presented to 9 beneficiary organisations, the first instalment of payments to implement projects in rural communities.
The first tranche of payments in the amount of EC$213,848.42 was handed over by the Prime Minister. The projects are being initiated to help empower local communities for a total value of EC$712,826.00.
The ceremony was held at the GIDC Business Complex, Sauteurs, St Patrick at 4 pm, and was attended by the 9 groups receiving grant funding for their projects, Dr the Right Hon. Keith Mitchell, and other government officials.
The communities and implementing organizations are as follows;
- River Sallee Father’s Organization, River Sallee St Patrick – Solar Lighting of Community Playground. The total cost of the project is $153,183.33 XCD.
- Mt Craven /Mt Rodney Disaster Environmental Preparedness Mitigation Organization, Mt Craven St Patrick – Construction of Waterway & Esplanade. The total cost of the project is $110,833.25 XCD.
- Mt Rich Youth Cultural Environmental Developmental Organization, Mt Rich, St Patrick – Restoration of the Mt Rich Carib Stone & Information Centre to include trails and landing sites. The total cost of the project is $88,080.18 XCD.
- Mt Craven/Mt Rodney Women’s Organization, Mt Craven St Patrick – Agro Processing Enterprise (Pulping fresh fruits). The total cost of the project is $94,632.29 XCD.
- Clozier Development Committee, Clozier, St John – Eco Tourism Project to include trails & interpretation centre. The total cost of the project is $85,612.01 XCD.
- River Sallee Women’s Organization, River Sallee, St Patrick – Agro Processing Enterprise – Wet Seasoning, Pepper Sauce, Jams/Jellies. The total cost of the project is $97,807.97 XCD.
- La Tante Development Organization, La Tante, St David – Fencing & Solar Lighting of La Tante Human Resource Development Centre. The total cost of the project is $102,297.81 XCD
- North East Farmer Organization, New Hampshire, St George – Organic Fertilizer Production, Agro Processing & Buffer Zone Implementation. The total cost of the project is $100,274.94 XCD
- Florida All Stars, Florida, St John – Training of 8 young Steel-pan Tuners throughout St John, Pan Consultation and Construction of Washroom Facilities for Pan House. The total cost of the project is $93,049.32XCD
MAREP is pleased to have reached this stage of implementation in the program. Organizations are now poised to begin their projects geared to reducing poverty and vulnerability in their respective communities.
NOW Grenada is not responsible for the opinions, statements or media content presented by contributors. In case of abuse, click here to report.