- Did you know breast cancer is one of the main causes of death among women?
Breast Cancer is the most common cause of cancer in women and the leading cause of cancer-related deaths in Latin America and the Caribbean. In 2008 Breast Cancer accounted for 20% of cancer-related deaths in Caribbean women. (PAHO/WHO,2013).
- Did you know it is predicted that by 2030 the number of breast cancer cases will increase by 46%?
There is a continuous increase in the number of new cases and the number of deaths caused by Breast Cancer in Grenada and the Caribbean. Pan American Health Organization predicts that by the year 2030, the number of new cases of Breast Cancer within Latin America and the Caribbean will increase by 46% if the ongoing trends continue.
- Did you know the risk for developing breast cancer increases with age and just being a woman increases your chances significantly?
All women are at risk for breast cancer and as you get older that risk increases. A woman living to the age of 85 has a 1 in 8 (12%) chance of developing breast cancer and a woman at the age of 45 has a 1 in 93 chance.
Do you really know the BEST thing about Breast Cancer?
It is preventable!!! Stop!!! Yes, I said PREVENTABLE!!! As old people say and medicine approves “Prevention is better than cure.”
Here are a few tips to prevent Breast Cancer
- Eat a balanced meal daily. Get your fruits and dairy products (milk, cheese etc.) in, and leave the canned/tinned foods out. Avoid drinking alcohol every day. Say no to smoking cigarettes and other tobacco products. Avoid processed foods especially smoked or barbequed foods. And remember everything you do, do it in moderation.
- Exercise daily. Take a nice morning walk and embrace the fresh morning air. Or even take a walk on the beach to enjoy the colours of the sunset while relaxing and staying stress-free. Take a dip and make a couple lapses in the water. Run or jog up the hill. Save a little pocket change every now and then by just walking for 15 minutes instead of taking the bus.
Remember what you put in should be what comes out! Calories IN = Calories OUT. Maintain a healthy weight. If an immediate family member had breast cancer or you have been exposed to other risk factors and your chance for developing it is high, by making these tips your daily habits, your chance will be lowered significantly. It’s never too early to start making these changes.
Don’t forget to get screened!! Get your MAMMOGRAMS!! DO your breast self-exam!!
Let’s beat Breast Cancer together!
The Grenada Cancer Society
NOW Grenada is not responsible for the opinions, statements or media content presented by contributors. In case of abuse, click here to report.