The Grenada Association of Retired Persons (GARP) continues to celebrate Month of Older Persons in October. During the 3rd week of October, the following important events are planned to raise awareness about issues affecting seniors:
Saturday, 14 October 2017:
- GARP will host an information booth at Andalls Supermarket on Melville Street from 9 am to 4 pm to advise the public on issues affecting seniors. A presentation and relevant literature will be available for public viewing, and the event will include a fund-raiser cake sale with cakes donated by GARP members. Drop by to have a chat, perhaps purchase some cake, and see how you might be able to help seniors in your area of Grenada.
- GARP representatives in St David will host a soup kitchen run by Mr and Mrs Moses at Beaton, and this soup kitchen will service the areas of La Femme, Laura Land and Beaton.
Sunday, 15 October 2017: 26 churches in Grenada will deliver sermons addressing issues that affect seniors, and will provide messages to Grenadians to help enhance their daily lives.
Monday, 16 October 2017: GARP representatives in St Andrew will host a soup kitchen at the Cadrona Home for the Elderly.
Wednesday 18 October 2017:
- GARP representatives in St Andrew will host a soup kitchen at the Crochu Home for the Elderly.
- The GARP Welcome Centre on Kirani Boulevard in St Geroges will host a Tea, Coffee, Cake and Conversation event from 10 am to noon led by a guest speaker Shaky Cornwall from Legal Aid, to discuss an important topic on ‘Physical and Mental Abuse.’
Friday, 20 October 2017: GARP has been hosting a soup kitchen for seniors for the last 4 years and this year the soup kitchen is part of the celebration of seniors for the month of October. Soups are donated to GARP by 3 restaurants. We have decided to share this wonderful event with:
- The Desk of the Elderly under the Ministry of Social Development. A pot of soup will be given to them and they will distribute to locked-in seniors and underprivileged seniors in various communities.
- Another pot of soup will be delivered by a GARP member to distribute in her community in St Patrick.
- The 3rd pot will be distributed from the GARP Welcome Centre on Kirani James Boulevard from 11 am.
Saturday, 21 October 2017: GARP will host an information booth at Grand Anse Food Fair Mall on Montessori School Road from 9 am to 4 pm to advise the public on issues affecting seniors. A presentation and relevant literature will be available for public viewing. GARP is seeking new members to join their exciting team and application forms will be available.
Please note that the next free medical clinic will be held at the upcoming GARP Expo on 28 October at the Morne Rouge playing field in Grand Anse. Other medical clinics are planned in various locations in early November and will be announced in the weeks ahead.
GARP provides engagement and support for mature citizens 50 years of age and over. Our mission is to offer learning opportunities, social activities, fun events, and valuable benefits to our members in Grenada. Please feel free to drop by the GARP Welcome Centre located at Kirani James Boulevard (next to Foodland) or call 435-9857 for more information. Our website is www.garpgrenada.com and our Facebook page is GARP.
NOW Grenada is not responsible for the opinions, statements or media content presented by contributors. In case of abuse, click here to report.