Bishop Emeritus Sydney Anicetus Charles, who died on Tuesday, 4 September 2018, at the age of 92, burial wishes are to be honoured said Vicar General, Fr Carl Haynes.
Fr Haynes is the Chairman of the Committee responsible for planning the Mass for the burial of the Bishop Emeritus, who will be buried at 10 am on Friday, 28 September 2018. The Mass of Christian Burial will take place at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Church Street, St George’s.
Fr Haynes indicated that one of the wishes of Bishop Emeritus Charles was that the casket with his body be laid on the floor of the nave rather than on the casket trolley during the Mass. Plans are being made to ensure his wishes are respected during the Mass of Christian burial.
Vicar-General Haynes indicated that to ensure as much persons are accommodated at the Cathedral extra seats are being brought in to seat the hundreds expected to participate in his burial rites. However aware that not all can be accommodated at the Cathedral, arrangements have been put in place for a live broadcast of the Mass on EWTN on FLOW Cable, GBN tv and WPG10. Further there will be a live streaming on Facebook at Diocese of St George’s-in-Grenada.
The following are the arrangements for the funeral.
On Thursday, 27 September 2018:
- The body of Bishop Emeritus Sydney Charles will be taken to the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, St George at 9 am
- At 10 am a special Mass for students of Catholic schools and Catholic students of non-Catholic schools will be held. Bishop Emeritus Sydney Charles was an advocate for education in Grenada, founding the New Life Organisation (NEWLO) in July 1984.
- The body will remain at the Cathedral for the regular midday Mass and thereafter, for viewing by the general public.
- At 5:30 pm a special Vigil Service will be held. This service will include praying of the Rosary, Evening Prayer Office of the Dead and tributes.
On Friday, 28 September 2018:
- The body of Bishop Emeritus Sydney Charles will be returned to the Cathedral at 9 am
- The Mass of Christian Burial will begin at 10.00 a.m. Bishop Clyde Martin Harvey, Bishop of the Diocese of St George’s-Grenada will preside over the ceremony. All persons attending the funeral are asked to be seated by 9:40 am
- Bishop Emeritus Sydney Charles will be entombed in the Cathedral crypt, below his predecessor, Bishop Justin Field OP, and above his successor, Bishop Vincent Darius OP.
NOW Grenada is not responsible for the opinions, statements or media content presented by contributors. In case of abuse, click here to report.