by Deb Eastwood, Director GYA (Grenada Youth Adventurers)
Last week, at 13 locations throughout Grenada, children as young as 5 years old (and adults and grandparents) were taught up to 5 days of free swim lessons.
Now in its fifth year, the swim week ran from 23-27 April and hosted locations as far north as Sauteurs and as far away as Carriacou. It was another successful week, bringing the cumulative total taught during the 5 National Learn to Swim Weeks to 3,400 children and adults.
Deb Eastwood, Director of the “Get Grenada Swimming” initiative stated, “We were happy with the number of swimmers this year, considering that 3 sites previously used had been shut down because of the sargassum problem up north and several other reasons. We were particularly pleased with the number of mothers who came and took lessons at the same time as their children.”
International volunteers came from the UK, Norway, Australia, Canada and the United States. A youth group sponsored by Grace Lutheran, the Kingdom Workers, came from Wisconsin to run an entire site by themselves and teach over 50 swimmers. Another group, Medics Away, contributed numerous volunteers from the UK and over 40 local volunteers joined forces with the paid instructors.
For those who missed the week, or wish to continue their training, free lessons will continue Saturdays at the following locations:
- St Patrick, Bathway 9-11 am. David/Linda Wright 442-0495
- St Patrick, Sauteurs Breakwater 9-10 am. Sinikka Fisher 422-9880
- St Andrew, Hope Beach 9-10 am. Naddy Mitchell 449-8984
- St David, Grenada Marine, Corinth 9-11 am. Catherine John 458-3474
- St George, Grand Anse in front of Umbrellas 9-11 am. Deb Eastwood 404-5237
- St George, Grand Mal in front of the Go Cool Steps 10 am-12 pm. Kevin Phillips 421-1835
- St John, Gouyave in front of fish market 10 am-12 pm. Sharm Ashton 421-6702
- St Mark, Waltham Beach (north of Gouyave) 2-4 pm. Korah Ashby 410-0208
- Carriacou (Lumbadive) 2pm – 3pm children, 3:30-4:40 pm adults. Diane Martino 443-8566
A special thank you to Republic Bank who was the major sponsor of this week. For more info on free swim programs, go to www.getgrenadaswimming.com or call Deb Eastwood at 404-5237 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Grenada Youth Adventurers
NOW Grenada is not responsible for the opinions, statements or media content presented by contributors. In case of abuse, click here to report.