As we quickly approach the peak of the Spicemas celebrations, the Child Protection Authority is seeking the collaboration of all in keeping the nation’s children safe.
While child protection should be a collective effort all year round, we believe vigilance should be increased during major festivities such as carnival.
The following are some ways we can all get involved:
- If you are working, or plan to attend an event, arrange for suitable alternative care and supervision for minors. Children should never be left unattended.
- Ensure children attend age-appropriate events accompanied by yourself or a trusted and responsible adult.
- Keep alcohol and harmful substances out of the reach of children.
- Foster an open, loving relationship with your children.
- Speak to children about responsible behaviour. Lead by example.
- Keep a watchful eye out for community children.
- If you notice or suspect a child might be in harm’s way, help and/or alert parents or the relevant authorities.
- If you are caring for someone else’s child/children, be as protective of them as you would be of your own.
- Where possible, put peace to quarrels and fights involving children.
- Business Community/Vendors:
- Do not sell alcoholic beverages and cigarettes to minors.
- Do not admit minors into adult events — request IDs to clear doubts.
- Offer help if you notice a child in danger. Call the relevant authorities, where necessary.
- Ask permission and/or inform your parents of where you are going before you leave the house. Keep your parents updated while you are out.
- Know emergency numbers and relevant information in case an emergency arises.
- Stay away from unsafe areas/ situations.
- Say no drugs/alcohol.
- Do not accept food or beverages from strangers.
These are just some of the many ways we can all play a role in child protection this season. With each one of us doing our part, we can make this carnival a safe one for all children. Let’s team up! Alone we can do so little. Together we can accomplish so much more.
Have a safe celebration!
Child Protection Authority