by Linda Straker
Delegates at the main opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) elected a new executive that had 1 minor change. After the election process, all members with the exception of a floor member, was returned to serve.
“There was no block voting. Each position was individually and unanimously voted back into office. The only new face is a floor member,” said public relations officer Randall Robinson, when asked if it was a suggestion to return the executive in block, from a supporter during the closed-door session.
The constitution of the NDC provides for the leader to hold on to that position for 3 years, and as a result, in the 2017 Convention which was held under the theme ‘Let’s Build Grenada Together,’ all executive positions were open.
The complete executive is:
- Party Chairman Vincent Ignatius Roberts
- Deputy Party Chairman Jenny Simon
- Political Leader V. Nazim Burke
- Deputy Political Leader Joseph Andall and
- General Secretary Glen Noel.
- The 3 Assistant General Secretaries are Juliet Andria Dharangit, Wade Phillip, and Elwin McQuilkin
- The Recording Secretary is Fred Parker, assisted by Jerry Marryshow
- Treasurer Merle Byer
- Public Relations Officer Randal Robinson, assisted by Ron Redhead
- The Industrial Relations Officer is Elliot Bishop
Floor members are newcomer Val Gordon, Wallace McLeod, and Dale Simon.
Addressing the party’s rally following the convention, Burke told the delegates: “I am truly humbled by that decision, I know that the people of the National Democratic Congress do not go about choosing leaders willy-nilly, and I am truly happy and humbled that you have taken the decision to have me continue to serve in that capacity.”