The National Disaster Management Agency (NaDMA) advises the general public that Grenada is under Tropical Storm Warning.
According to the 8 am update given by the Meteorological Office at the Maurice Bishop International Airport Tropical Storm Karen is located 11.9 North and 60.9 West moving at 9 mph, maximum sustained winds 40 mph and is moving west Northwest.
Tropical Storm force winds extend outward up 125 miles per hour from the centre. The centre of Tropical Storm Karen is expected to pass over Grenada by 2 pm today.
Due to the designation, the National Emergency Advisory Council (NEAC) met in Emergency session at 8 am and the following decisions were taken:
- The National Emergency Operations Centre will activate at 12 noon today Sunday
- The following shelters will be activated at 11 am: in the North St Patrick’s Roman Catholic School, in the South Calliste Government, on the West St Rose Modern Secondary School and L’Esterre Rosary School on the sister isle of Carriacou.
- NAWASA has advised that all waters systems will be shutting off at 12 noon today.
- Forecasters have predicted that the system is expected to bring 3-6 inches of rainfall causing flooding and landslides in areas so prone. A marine advisory is also in effect.
- Businesses and homeowners are asked to activate your emergency plans.
NaDMA through the Meteorological Office will continue to monitor Tropical Storm Karen and provide updates of changes.
NaDMA, the official source for all disaster related information in Grenada.
NOW Grenada is not responsible for the opinions, statements or media content presented by contributors. In case of abuse, click here to report.