Last week the Republic Bank National Learn to Swim Week welcomed over 805 swimmers to its 7th annual year of swim weeks.
Hosting the largest number of venues (18 sites) in its history, new locations were found in Carriacou (Windward), Cabier Beach, BBC Beach, and the Water Club in Telescope.
Although sargassum continued to plague the east coast venues, last-minute operations occurred to bus individuals to other locations. Huge thanks to GRENED, a Grenville non-profit devoted to helping youth, who organised buses so students could be taken from Grenville to Grenada Marine and Birchgrove for lessons. Birchgrove (the only river site) hosted the highest number of swimmers with 95 individuals taking part during the week.
Get Grenada Swimming, an initiative to teach 8,000 children to swim over a 5-year period reached their target with this swim week. Director Deb Eastwood had this to say: “We are extremely grateful for all the individuals who helped make this happen. It certainly takes a village to do what we are doing and there are so many villages in Grenada making this happen. We are not just doing one-off events. We are working in over 20 communities to establish consistent weekly free swim lessons for all.”
For those who missed the week, or wish to continue their training, free lessons will continue Saturdays at the following locations:
- Bathway, 9–10 am. David/Linda Wright 442-0495
- BBC Beach, 1–3 pm. Rachel Modeste 456-9480
- Birchgrove Mellows Complex, 9 am. Lovell Alexander 416-1226
- Cabier Beach, Crochu, St Andrew, 9 am. Abigail Fletcher, 449-6091
- Carriacou, Lumbadive–Tyrell Bay, 2 pm (3:30 pm Adults). Diane Martino, 415-9325
- Carriacou, Windward. Lesley McIntosh 538-6334
- Grand Anse in front of Umbrellas, 9 am. Deb Eastwood 404-5237
- Grand Mal in front of the Go Cool Steps, 9 am. Camme Roberts 417-8399
- Grenada Marine, Corinth, St David, 9 am. Catherine John 443-4212
- Gouyave at Fish Market, 12–2 pm. Sharm Ashton 422-9893
- Waltham Beach, St Mark, 2–5 pm. Korah Ashby 410-0208
- Sauteurs Break Water, 9–10 am. Damani Bruno 410-2394
- Grenada Marine, Corinth, 9–10 am. Catherine John 443-4212
- Petite Martinique, Morang Beach, Saturday 10 am–12 pm. Mary Benjamin 421-6650
- Petite Martinique, Sunday 1 pm. Mary Benjamin 421-6650
A special thank you to Republic Bank who was the major sponsor of this week. Also, to Star Malt, Budget Marine, and Glenelg for their participation. For more info on free swim programs, go to www.getgrenadaswimming.com or call Deb Eastwood at 404-5237 or email [email protected]
Deb Eastwood, Director GYA (Grenada Youth Adventurers)
NOW Grenada is not responsible for the opinions, statements or media content presented by contributors. In case of abuse, click here to report.